Artist Bio

I no longer maintain this site.

To see more of my recent work, visit visit my Flickr page. To order images or learn more about my photography, please visit my webpage T. L. Schendel Photography

09 February, 2008

Georis Harvest III

This small exhibit is made up of reproductions (i.e. digital photos) of darkroom prints that were done as part of a documentary project on wine making. For the first two parts of the series, see the links to the right.




The tanks are cleaned and ready for the new juice.




Pressing the grapes. The grapes are fed into the press.





The press removes the stems. Israel shovels them out of the way. The pres then drops the skins and juice into a catch underneath. This was hard to shoot because the winery was very dark and I didn't have a flash. So I managed by setting up the tripod and counting off the seconds on my bulb setting.





Eventually, the fermented juice will be placed in the barrels. In the barrels it completes fermentation and begins the aging process. As some point, the wine maker will add sulphates to the barrels to stop the fermentation process. The barrel room has an almost church-like atmosphere. It is dark, quiet, and cool. You smell oak and you hear a slight hissing sound, which is the release of the fermentation gases.




Eventually, the wine is bottled and prepared for sale.




Barrels can only be used over so many times before they are broken down, as seen here.

No comments: