Artist Bio

I no longer maintain this site.

To see more of my recent work, visit visit my Flickr page. To order images or learn more about my photography, please visit my webpage T. L. Schendel Photography

04 April, 2009

Fort Ord II March 2009

In March, the old Fort Ord is windswept and cold. This adds to the ghostly sense of the place.



Abandoned Garages

When I worked out at Ford Ord, I'd take a walk around some of the old buildings on my lunch hour. I usually walked the same route, near the Police and national Guard HQ. These seemed safer to me. If you go off the more inhabited route, you may run into some of the area's wilder animals like mountain lions, bobcats, rattlesnakes and foxes. I once encountered a huge rattler stretched out across the road. I made a very wide circle around him. This, by the way, is why you want to be careful of wandering around abandoned buildings. You never know what lurks. Of course, this also adds to the thrill.


A Church Building on Risers

Some historic buildings, like this church, are being saved. Fort Ord was a big post and there were several chapels and churches. One of the large buildings near this site has been turned into an indoor roller hockey ring.


Old Barracks
This area is totally fenced off now. You can still squeeze through. The military uses this area for counter insurgency training. You know, the knock and shock stuff.


Old Barracks used for Counter-insurgency training now.


Deck of Swimming Pool

And again, I end with the swimming pool. The quality of light in this photo is less eery than hopeful. There is redemption after the ruin.

No comments: