Artist Bio

I no longer maintain this site.

To see more of my recent work, visit visit my Flickr page. To order images or learn more about my photography, please visit my webpage T. L. Schendel Photography

27 August, 2011

Turlock et. all Poster Series


I have been creating a poster series for the towns that people "Drive by" on their way to somewhere else. So many people have told me, "Turlock? Yeah I know that town. We drove through there on our way to . . . " That usually means they have viewed it from the highway, which never presents the best parts of town. So, here is a local's view of Turlock.

Gustine gets thrown in because frankly, it has the coolest laundromat I've ever seen, complete with palm trees and surf boards!


Al's is a long time local institution. It's seedy, but it's real!


Founded along the Santa Fe tracks, Turlock has been a railway passthrough. We don't get passenger trains. Instead, we get mile long snakes that pass through downtown loaded with the latest from China.


Backstage main street. This is the part that no one bothers to see. But if you veer off the beaten track, you may find little surprises!


Antiques: Turlock has a couple of really fun antiques shops, staffed and owned by friendly people who offer reasonable prices. Take a casual stroll through and go have some local micro brew at Dust Bowl Brewing Co.(poster coming soon) up the street when you're done. It makes for a pleasant afternoon that not even Sunset Magazine knows about!


Heart of the heart, baby!


If you want a good old fashion barber, where you can find out the latest on the ag business, this is the place to go. It's complete with the standard issue poster with all the presidents pictured, the Motor Trend Magazines, as well as the local paper. I'd call it retro cool, but the fact is, it's too genuine to be retro cool. You sit, talk with the locals, and get a great cut cheap. It's the real deal!


Carnegie Arts Center, opening Sept 10, 2011 with an Ansel Adams exhibit!


What'd I tell you? Coolest laundromat around! Every berg has its gem. And this one sparkles turquoise when we pass by after dark on our way home to Turlock.


No comments: